Tips To Prevent Discomfort
Nov 20, 2015
Most people at one point or another in their life will experience neck pain. A recent study in the journalSpine even showed that almost half of boys and girls aged 15-16 years have neck pain! Here are some tips to help prevent discomfort:
- Posture: Set your sitting posture and workstation up for success. Sit upright and against the back of a good chair. Your computer screen should be eye-level and straight ahead. Finally, the keyboard should be elbow height. Also, watch for glare on the screen or drafts from the air conditioning/heat – these things might make you shift or change the way you are trying to sit.
- Excessive telephone use: Use a headset if you are on the telephone a lot.
- Night time: It’s best for your neck if you avoid sleeping on your stomach. A cervical pillow and sleeping on your back or sides is best.
- General health: Regular aerobic exercise and relaxation techniques have been found to help decrease pain and the likelihood of having future pain. Even walking daily can be very beneficial.
- If you use a backpack or a bag, keep it light. Use both straps of the backpack to distribute the weight evenly. Alternate which arm carries a bag or purse that is carried on one side.